Fundraiser underway for film on brothel owner ‘Miss Nellie’
by Associated Press
Published: November 7,2013
NATCHEZ — Three filmmakers in Natchez are launching a fundraising campaign to make a documentary about “Miss Nellie” Jackson, who ran a bordello in the Mississippi River town for decades.
The Natchez Democrat reports that Mark Brockway, Lauren Jones and Tim Givens launched the campaign yesterday on the website indiegogo.com.
Brockway said the goal is to raise $20,000 for the film “Mississippi Madam: The Story of Nellie Jackson.”
Jackson died in 1990 after a neighbor allegedly doused her in gasoline and set her afire.
Jones said the story of Jackson, a black woman who ran a brothel in a Southern town, is an important one.
Among details the documentary will explore will be Jackson’s use of money to bail Civil Rights workers out of jail in the 1960s.
Jones, who is the documentary’s producer, said she believes the story of “Miss Nellie” had been swept under the rug in Natchez.
“I got really sick and tired of hearing people bury it,” Jones said. “You talk about Natchez, and you hear about all these antebellum homes and our history, but you don’t hear about the Civil Rights actions that ‘Miss Nellie’ took.
“It wasn’t all about her business. People should know how strong she was and how tough she was. When people about Natchez, I want this to be part of they talk about.”
Givens, the documentary’s cinematographer and a graphic designer for The Natchez Democrat, said he joined the project because he, too, thought Jackson’s story needed to be told.
“It’s a story I’ve known my whole life, and it’s a story I can’t believe no one has really told yet,” Givens said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data