Sweet potato event wins award for promoting research
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 14,2013
Tags: agriculture, award, conference, education, Experiment Station Committee on Organization and Policy, farm, farming, Filiop To, Institution of Higher Learning, Juan Silva, Mark Shank;le, Mississippi State University, Multistate Excellence in Research Award, National Sweetpotato Collaborators, public university, Raja Reddy, Ramon Arancibia, research, sweet potato
STARKVILLE — A sweet potato production conference organized by Mississippi State University faculty and collaborators in other states won a national award on Nov. 10 for excellence in promoting multistate research.
MSU faculty Ramon Arancibia, Raja Reddy, Steve Meyers, Mark Shankle, Juan Silva, Jason Ward and Filip To are members of the National Sweetpotato Collaborators working group that planned the annual conference of sweet potato researchers.
The conference was named the 2013 national Multistate Excellence in Research Award winner by the Experiment Station Committee on Organization and Policy. The award was presented at the Nov. 10-12 annual meeting of the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities.
The sweet potato conference has been held since 1939 and was designed for collaborators to exchange information on all aspects of production, as well as ongoing research topics.
“This is an important specialty crop with state and Agricultural Research Service programs lacking a full complement of scientists and Extension specialists serving all critical areas,” award nominators stated. “Only through this collaborative group can a comprehensive treatment exist.”
The Multistate Excellence in Research Award is given to encourage and highlight states working together on projects that each state values but cannot address alone. This characterizes the Multistate Research Program’s management objectives.
In addition to these MSU researchers, the conference brought together researchers from California, Louisiana, New York, North Carolina, Arkansas, South Carolina and Canada.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus