Parent company shutting down trucking firm
Published: November 17,2013
TUPELO — Action Transport trucks have been moving Lane Furniture merchandise for more than 40 years. That ends tomorrow.
Parent company Furniture Brands International is closing down Action.
Anton Nicholas of ICR, a financial communications company representing Furniture Brands, tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that the company will now use Missoula, Mont.-based Watkins & Shepard Trucking.
Nicholas says Furniture Brands began using Watkins & Shepard for its Broyhill and Henredon furniture divisions four years ago in a move to be more economical and efficient with its shipping operations.
Action workers were informed of the move over the weekend. Action employs about 60 drivers.
Furniture Brands filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September. The bankruptcy court in Delaware will look at bids for the company next week.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- The Blues and higher education — Delta State launches the International Delta Blues Project
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Singing River shutting doors on two Coast clinics
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62