Parent company shutting down trucking firm
Published: November 17,2013
TUPELO — Action Transport trucks have been moving Lane Furniture merchandise for more than 40 years. That ends tomorrow.
Parent company Furniture Brands International is closing down Action.
Anton Nicholas of ICR, a financial communications company representing Furniture Brands, tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that the company will now use Missoula, Mont.-based Watkins & Shepard Trucking.
Nicholas says Furniture Brands began using Watkins & Shepard for its Broyhill and Henredon furniture divisions four years ago in a move to be more economical and efficient with its shipping operations.
Action workers were informed of the move over the weekend. Action employs about 60 drivers.
Furniture Brands filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September. The bankruptcy court in Delaware will look at bids for the company next week.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location