Parent company shutting down trucking firm
Published: November 17,2013
TUPELO — Action Transport trucks have been moving Lane Furniture merchandise for more than 40 years. That ends tomorrow.
Parent company Furniture Brands International is closing down Action.
Anton Nicholas of ICR, a financial communications company representing Furniture Brands, tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that the company will now use Missoula, Mont.-based Watkins & Shepard Trucking.
Nicholas says Furniture Brands began using Watkins & Shepard for its Broyhill and Henredon furniture divisions four years ago in a move to be more economical and efficient with its shipping operations.
Action workers were informed of the move over the weekend. Action employs about 60 drivers.
Furniture Brands filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September. The bankruptcy court in Delaware will look at bids for the company next week.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Cannabis for the rest of us
- MARTY WISEMAN: The current racial strife and the failure to educate
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- BILL CRAWFORD: Boyce takes hot spot as IHL commissioner
- Planters Bank promotes at 3 locations
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Real Estate Forum panelists: Lenders, investors hungry for deals on residential rentals in Miss., elsewhere
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast