Parent company shutting down trucking firm
Published: November 17,2013
TUPELO — Action Transport trucks have been moving Lane Furniture merchandise for more than 40 years. That ends tomorrow.
Parent company Furniture Brands International is closing down Action.
Anton Nicholas of ICR, a financial communications company representing Furniture Brands, tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that the company will now use Missoula, Mont.-based Watkins & Shepard Trucking.
Nicholas says Furniture Brands began using Watkins & Shepard for its Broyhill and Henredon furniture divisions four years ago in a move to be more economical and efficient with its shipping operations.
Action workers were informed of the move over the weekend. Action employs about 60 drivers.
Furniture Brands filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September. The bankruptcy court in Delaware will look at bids for the company next week.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- MARK BLACKWELL: Cyber security insurance perhaps?