Memorial service to be held for late Hollandale mayor
Published: November 20,2013
HOLLANDALE — A memorial service is scheduled for tomorrow for Hollandale Mayor Melvin Willis Sr., who died Saturday after a battle with cancer. He was 65.
City clerk Helen Johnson says Willis had taken medical leave Nov. 1. She says after being diagnosed with cancer, Willis was admitted to Anderson Medical Center in Meridian on Nov. 12.
The memorial service will be held at the Simmons Junior Senior High School Gymnasium in Hollandale.
Willis, who had occupied the mayor’s office since 2009 and was elected to a second term in June, also worked at Sunflower grocery in Hollandale until about 18 months ago. Owner Roy Schilling says his father hired Willis in the late 1960s.
Survivors include his wife, Lillie; a sister, two sons, a daughter and two grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Digital Editions - magazines
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game