Blue Cross of Mississippi maintaining non-Obamacare compliant policies
by Ted Carter
Published: November 21,2013
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is not following the lead of BCBS of Alabama in cancelling health plans not in compliance with the Affordable Care Act.
In a statement Thursday morning, the health care insurer said it did not cancel any health plans due to the Jan. 1, 2014 PPACA requirements.
“ Instead, we have renewed coverage for our individual and group customers through 2014. For those individuals and small groups that may qualify for a lower premium due to the new healthcare reform rating rules, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is giving these members the option to choose a 2014 PPACA benefit plan or they can keep their existing plan,” company spokeswoman Meredith Virden said.
“Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is committed to supporting its members through the complexities of healthcare reform,” she added.
Meanwhile, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama says it will not reinstate health plans that were not in compliance with the Affordable Care Act. The insurance carrier cited “significant legal and financial risks to our policyholders, the state and our company.”
BCBS of Alabama said the ultimate impact of renewing the plans would be higher health care costs now and in the future for all of the provider’s customers.
Temporary reinstatement of policies that are non-ACA compliant would create dual classes of policyholders and destabilize the state’s insurance market and the risk pools associated with these health plans, BCBS of Alabama said. “The ultimate impact would be higher healthcare costs for all of our customers, now and in the near future.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Blue Cross of Mississippi maintaining non-Obamacare compliant policies”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option