Blue Cross of Mississippi maintaining non-Obamacare compliant policies
by Ted Carter
Published: November 21,2013
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is not following the lead of BCBS of Alabama in cancelling health plans not in compliance with the Affordable Care Act.
In a statement Thursday morning, the health care insurer said it did not cancel any health plans due to the Jan. 1, 2014 PPACA requirements.
“ Instead, we have renewed coverage for our individual and group customers through 2014. For those individuals and small groups that may qualify for a lower premium due to the new healthcare reform rating rules, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is giving these members the option to choose a 2014 PPACA benefit plan or they can keep their existing plan,” company spokeswoman Meredith Virden said.
“Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is committed to supporting its members through the complexities of healthcare reform,” she added.
Meanwhile, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama says it will not reinstate health plans that were not in compliance with the Affordable Care Act. The insurance carrier cited “significant legal and financial risks to our policyholders, the state and our company.”
BCBS of Alabama said the ultimate impact of renewing the plans would be higher health care costs now and in the future for all of the provider’s customers.
Temporary reinstatement of policies that are non-ACA compliant would create dual classes of policyholders and destabilize the state’s insurance market and the risk pools associated with these health plans, BCBS of Alabama said. “The ultimate impact would be higher healthcare costs for all of our customers, now and in the near future.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Blue Cross of Mississippi maintaining non-Obamacare compliant policies”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Kelly Boutwell added, Jason Word promoted at MEC
- Cotton to take center stage during MSU summit
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy