Blue Cross of Mississippi maintaining non-Obamacare compliant policies
by Ted Carter
Published: November 21,2013
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is not following the lead of BCBS of Alabama in cancelling health plans not in compliance with the Affordable Care Act.
In a statement Thursday morning, the health care insurer said it did not cancel any health plans due to the Jan. 1, 2014 PPACA requirements.
“ Instead, we have renewed coverage for our individual and group customers through 2014. For those individuals and small groups that may qualify for a lower premium due to the new healthcare reform rating rules, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is giving these members the option to choose a 2014 PPACA benefit plan or they can keep their existing plan,” company spokeswoman Meredith Virden said.
“Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi is committed to supporting its members through the complexities of healthcare reform,” she added.
Meanwhile, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama says it will not reinstate health plans that were not in compliance with the Affordable Care Act. The insurance carrier cited “significant legal and financial risks to our policyholders, the state and our company.”
BCBS of Alabama said the ultimate impact of renewing the plans would be higher health care costs now and in the future for all of the provider’s customers.
Temporary reinstatement of policies that are non-ACA compliant would create dual classes of policyholders and destabilize the state’s insurance market and the risk pools associated with these health plans, BCBS of Alabama said. “The ultimate impact would be higher healthcare costs for all of our customers, now and in the near future.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Blue Cross of Mississippi maintaining non-Obamacare compliant policies”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren