Dr. J. Paige Buchanan named Chemist of the Year
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 22,2013
Dr. J. Paige Buchanan, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Southern Mississippi, has been named Chemist of the Year by the Mississippi Section of the American Chemical Society. Buchanan has been at Southern Miss since 2006 where she teaches and maintains an active research group. She earned her Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) in 1998, where she developed expertise in probing reaction mechanisms using a variety of techniques. She continued at Virginia Tech in a post-doctoral position in polymer science and joined a high-tech, small business entity specializing in advanced materials development for military applications.
Buchanan has eight issued patents, authored 38 refereed publications and is author or coauthor of over 100 presentations at local, national, and international forums.
In addition to her duties at USM, Buchanan is also an entrepreneur. In June 2008 she co-founded SciGenesis, LLC, a university start-up MURA company, with $2 million in funding to develop novel cosmetics and textiles for military applications.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Ford Foundation gives to UM for new science building
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete