Dr. J. Paige Buchanan named Chemist of the Year
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 22,2013
Dr. J. Paige Buchanan, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Southern Mississippi, has been named Chemist of the Year by the Mississippi Section of the American Chemical Society. Buchanan has been at Southern Miss since 2006 where she teaches and maintains an active research group. She earned her Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) in 1998, where she developed expertise in probing reaction mechanisms using a variety of techniques. She continued at Virginia Tech in a post-doctoral position in polymer science and joined a high-tech, small business entity specializing in advanced materials development for military applications.
Buchanan has eight issued patents, authored 38 refereed publications and is author or coauthor of over 100 presentations at local, national, and international forums.
In addition to her duties at USM, Buchanan is also an entrepreneur. In June 2008 she co-founded SciGenesis, LLC, a university start-up MURA company, with $2 million in funding to develop novel cosmetics and textiles for military applications.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Cochran continues to question EPA over new regulations