KEEPING OUR EYE ON … Spencer Ritchie
Jackson attorney Spencer Ritchie may have spent his childhood and young adult years in Texas and Washington, D.C., but he is happy now to make his home in the Magnolia State.
Growing up in Midland, Texas, Ritchie earned a BA in history from Texas Tech University and later his JD from the University of Mississippi School of Law.
Ritchie’s early career was spent in politics working as a legislative assistant to Texas congressman Sam Johnson and later as director of legislative affairs for the Associated Builders & Contractors. Prior to working at Watkins & Eager, Ritchie clerked for the U.S. District Court and U.S. Court of Appeals.
“My favorite things to do are read, write and think critically. This is what lawyers spend most of their time doing,” Ritchie says. “(As an attorney) I spend most of my time practicing employment law, helping employers avoid, resolve, and succeed in disputes with applicants and their employees.”
The legal profession and industry may have evolved in recent years, but Ritchie says at the end of the day, people and companies just want a lawyer that they can like and trust to do good work for them.
“I like to think that my love for learning and writing results in an enthusiastic and energetic approach to legal problems, a consequence of which is, I hope, a thorough and timely response,” he says.
Ritchie also works with the Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project and attends Redeemer Church in Jackson where he teaches Sunday School. He enjoys spending time with his wife Mary, reading, playing tennis, golf, washers or cornhole, and debating about sports.
“Do good work. Surround yourself with people you respect,” Ritchie advises young professionals. “Take instruction. Be involved in your community.”
— By Stephen McDill
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Kelly Boutwell added, Jason Word promoted at MEC
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Cotton to take center stage during MSU summit