KEEPING OUR EYE ON … Spencer Ritchie
Jackson attorney Spencer Ritchie may have spent his childhood and young adult years in Texas and Washington, D.C., but he is happy now to make his home in the Magnolia State.
Growing up in Midland, Texas, Ritchie earned a BA in history from Texas Tech University and later his JD from the University of Mississippi School of Law.
Ritchie’s early career was spent in politics working as a legislative assistant to Texas congressman Sam Johnson and later as director of legislative affairs for the Associated Builders & Contractors. Prior to working at Watkins & Eager, Ritchie clerked for the U.S. District Court and U.S. Court of Appeals.
“My favorite things to do are read, write and think critically. This is what lawyers spend most of their time doing,” Ritchie says. “(As an attorney) I spend most of my time practicing employment law, helping employers avoid, resolve, and succeed in disputes with applicants and their employees.”
The legal profession and industry may have evolved in recent years, but Ritchie says at the end of the day, people and companies just want a lawyer that they can like and trust to do good work for them.
“I like to think that my love for learning and writing results in an enthusiastic and energetic approach to legal problems, a consequence of which is, I hope, a thorough and timely response,” he says.
Ritchie also works with the Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project and attends Redeemer Church in Jackson where he teaches Sunday School. He enjoys spending time with his wife Mary, reading, playing tennis, golf, washers or cornhole, and debating about sports.
“Do good work. Surround yourself with people you respect,” Ritchie advises young professionals. “Take instruction. Be involved in your community.”
— By Stephen McDill
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job