MVSU appoints Dr. Jacqueline Gibson as vice president of student affairs
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 29,2013
Mississippi Valley State University has appointed Dr. Jacqueline Gibson as vice president of student affairs. A native of Morgan City, Gibson is a 15-year higher education professional.
She earned a bachelor’s degree in English in 1991 from Mississippi Valley State University. In the fall of 1991, she entered the University of Akron in Ohio and completed a master’s degree in communication and a Ph.D. in higher education in 1998.
Gibson began her career teaching English, speech and communication courses at Morris Brown College in Atlanta, Ga. In 2000, Gibson transitioned to Georgia State University’s Department of Communication to teach and later accept the position of director of the McNair Program in the Office of Educational Opportunity and TRIO Programs, which she held until October 2006. Afterward, she accepted the position of director of the Learning Resource Center at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania. After just one and a half years, she was promoted to director of the Office of Student Life and Development and received the New Professional of the Year Award for 2007-2008. In 2008, she was promoted to dean of students, and she served the students of Lincoln University in the position from 2008-2012. Recently, Gibson served the students of Kentucky State University as assistant vice president of student engagement and leadership development.
An advocate for students, Gibson has dedicated her career to serving students and is passionate about the educational advancement of first generation, low income, and underrepresented students. As a result, she has been involved in community projects such as Hands on Atlanta and Into the Streets, tutorial and enrichment services at McNair Middle School, volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club and serving as mentor to disadvantaged and at-risk teenagers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K