Mayor mulling establishment of local film commission
Published: December 2,2013
NATCHEZ — Mayor Butch Brown says he is in the process of establishing a local film commission to recruit filmmakers to the Natchez area.
Brown tells The Natchez Democrat the city has several residents who have connections to the film industry who could compose a local film commission that would be the “cream of the crop” in the state. Brown declined to name the residents he is considering for the commission, which he said is still in the “discussion stages.”
Brown said he was considering creating a film commission even before the announcement that the James Brown biopic “Get On Up” would be filming in Natchez. Jackson native and “The Help” director Tate Taylor is directing the film, which will wrap shooting in Natchez on Dec. 20.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- BREAKING: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics