Schools appealing audit; superintendent calls it ‘witch hunt’
Published: December 3,2013
Tags: appeal, audit, auditor, Auditor's Office, Bingham Moncrief, Commission on School Accreditation, education, Mississippi Department of Education, Paula Vanderford, public education, public school, school, state agency, state government
SCOTT COUNTY — The Scott County school district will appeal a state audit claiming it’s violating state standards.
Superintendent Bingham Moncrief tells The Clarion-Ledger that the September accreditation audit was a “witch hunt.” The state Department of Education says Scott County violated 20 of 27 standards reviewed.
The audit claims, among other things, that the district reported false information, broke state and federal laws, and failed to follow graduation requirements.
The district could be put on probation by the state Commission on School Accreditation. If that happens, Scott County would still be accredited, but would have to correct problems within a year or lose state approval.
The state audits districts to check compliance. Paula Vanderford, who oversees accreditation, says the state chose Scott County because it had received complaints about the district.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- The Blues and higher education — Delta State launches the International Delta Blues Project
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Singing River shutting doors on two Coast clinics
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62