Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
Published: December 9,2013
VICKSBURG — Improvements to the city’s water and sewer system top a list of 12 proposed capital improvement projects over five years that would cost about $57.7 million.
The Vicksburg Post reports the preliminary recommendations were prepared by city department heads for Mayor George Flaggs Jr.
Water and sewer system upgrades alone total about $22 million in the program, which is aimed at improving streets, recreation facilities and upgrades of city equipment.
Flaggs and Aldermen Michael Mayfield and Willis Thompson say they expect the list to grow between now and early January.
Thompson says he still is building a list of proposals for his part of the city.
“This is the raw form,” Flaggs said. “I asked for each department to tell me what they needed over the next five years. We’re going to set priorities. We have every intention of fine tuning this list.”
He said a committee including City Attorney Nancy Thomas, accounting director Doug Whittington, Mayfield and Willis and will review the list with him and set priorities.
“It goes without saying that the list will be whittled down,” said Mayfield.
Discussion of improvement priorities began when aldermen and department heads met Nov. 6.
The meeting followed a water leak on Oct. 25 that raised the 36-inch city main line about 20 feet below the street level had broken.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today