Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
Published: December 9,2013
VICKSBURG — Improvements to the city’s water and sewer system top a list of 12 proposed capital improvement projects over five years that would cost about $57.7 million.
The Vicksburg Post reports the preliminary recommendations were prepared by city department heads for Mayor George Flaggs Jr.
Water and sewer system upgrades alone total about $22 million in the program, which is aimed at improving streets, recreation facilities and upgrades of city equipment.
Flaggs and Aldermen Michael Mayfield and Willis Thompson say they expect the list to grow between now and early January.
Thompson says he still is building a list of proposals for his part of the city.
“This is the raw form,” Flaggs said. “I asked for each department to tell me what they needed over the next five years. We’re going to set priorities. We have every intention of fine tuning this list.”
He said a committee including City Attorney Nancy Thomas, accounting director Doug Whittington, Mayfield and Willis and will review the list with him and set priorities.
“It goes without saying that the list will be whittled down,” said Mayfield.
Discussion of improvement priorities began when aldermen and department heads met Nov. 6.
The meeting followed a water leak on Oct. 25 that raised the 36-inch city main line about 20 feet below the street level had broken.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss