Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
Published: December 9,2013
VICKSBURG — Improvements to the city’s water and sewer system top a list of 12 proposed capital improvement projects over five years that would cost about $57.7 million.
The Vicksburg Post reports the preliminary recommendations were prepared by city department heads for Mayor George Flaggs Jr.
Water and sewer system upgrades alone total about $22 million in the program, which is aimed at improving streets, recreation facilities and upgrades of city equipment.
Flaggs and Aldermen Michael Mayfield and Willis Thompson say they expect the list to grow between now and early January.
Thompson says he still is building a list of proposals for his part of the city.
“This is the raw form,” Flaggs said. “I asked for each department to tell me what they needed over the next five years. We’re going to set priorities. We have every intention of fine tuning this list.”
He said a committee including City Attorney Nancy Thomas, accounting director Doug Whittington, Mayfield and Willis and will review the list with him and set priorities.
“It goes without saying that the list will be whittled down,” said Mayfield.
Discussion of improvement priorities began when aldermen and department heads met Nov. 6.
The meeting followed a water leak on Oct. 25 that raised the 36-inch city main line about 20 feet below the street level had broken.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force