Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
Published: December 10,2013
STARKVILLE — Texas oilman Tommy Nusz and his wife, Terri, have donated $12.3 million to the Mississippi State University Campaign.
Nusz is the CEO and chairman of the board of Oasis Petroleum in Houston, Texas. He and his wife are graduates of Mississippi State.
School officials say in a news release that the donation brings the fundraising efforts for the campaign to $375 million.
The gift breaks down into:
— $250,000 for the engineering dean in the James Worth Bagley College of Engineering and $1 million to create the Nusz Engineering Student Excellence Endowment.
— $1.75 million for the Thomas B. Nusz Endowment Chair with the earnings to provide salary supplement and holder support for petroleum and energy related studies.
— $1 million for a new engineering and science building to house the Civil and Environmental Engineering department.
— $2 million for a new facility for the G. V. “Sonny” Montgomery Center for American Veterans.
— $2 million for a new Olympic sports facility and $300,000 to establish the Meagan Nusz Excellence in Woman’s Sports Fund to generate more emphasis on equestrian sports.
— $1 million will support several sports programs including baseball, woman’s basketball, softball and volleyball.
— $1 million for the Terri Nusz Endowed Equine Professorship to support teaching and research in equine studies.
— $1 million for a proposed Partnership School, an effort between the College of Education and the Starkville-Oktibbeha County schools.
The remaining money will be held for future use by the university as determined by the Nusz family.
The multi-year Infinite Impact: The Mississippi State University Campaign was launched earlier this year and will continue fundraising toward a $600 million goal by 2018.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'