Health Department: Flu cases on the rise statewide
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 10,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) is reporting an increase in influenza activity over the past several weeks.
“We are seeing evidence of influenza activity throughout the state,” said MSDH state epidemiologist Dr. Thomas Dobbs. “Seasonal flu usually peaks from January to March in Mississippi, but infections can be seen before and after peak season. All Mississippians should take the threat of flu very seriously and get vaccinated now.”
In recognition of National Influenza Vaccination Week (NIVW) Dec. 8-14, the MSDH reminds all Mississippians that vaccination is the best protection against influenza. NIVW is a national observance that was established to highlight the importance of encouraging influenza vaccination after the holiday season into January and beyond.
Seasonal flu vaccination is recommended for anyone age six months and older. Those particularly at risk for influenza complications include young children, adults 50 and older, pregnant women, and those with chronic illnesses. Vaccination of healthcare personnel and caregivers of vulnerable individuals is especially important.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data