DoD awards $14M contract to Aurora Flight Sciences
Published: December 16,2013
COLUMBUS — U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran says the Department of Defense has awarded a $14-million competitive contract to Aurora Flight Sciences in Columbus to assist in the development of a new aircraft for the Department of Defense.
In a news release, Cochran’s office said Saturday that the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency awarded the contract under its X-Plane program to support development of a new plane that incorporates advanced air speed and performance measures. Work on the Vertical Take-Off and Landing Experimental Plane project will be carried out in Columbus.
Aurora Flight Sciences designs and builds robotic aircraft and other advanced aerospace vehicles for scientific and military applications.
“This award is an example of Mississippi companies successfully competing for programs that bring high tech jobs to our state, while providing the best equipment and capabilities to our Armed Forces,” said Cochran, vice chairman of the Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee.
“Mississippi has a talented workforce, and we have continued to diversify and grow our ability to provide high tech production for very advanced military and commercial applications. That is in no small measure a result of the leadership of Senator Cochran and his encouragement and support,” John Langford, Aurora Flight Sciences CEO, said in the news release.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday