Diet clinic owner, manager arrested on drug charges
Published: December 17,2013
MCCOMB — The owner and business manager of the McComb weight loss clinic have been charged with selling drugs and practicing medicine without a license.
Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics spokeswoman Delores Lewis said this past week’s arrests are the culmination of two-month investigation.
Lewis tells the Enterprise-Journal that Shameka N. Wells, 33, and Chanell C. James Kate, 34, are each charged with two counts of sale of a controlled substance and one count of practicing medicine without a license.
Wells owns the Weight Loss Specialists clinic while Kate is the business manager.
Lewis said Wells and Kate allegedly called in prescriptions under a doctor’s name for clients attending the clinic.
The prescriptions were reportedly for the drug phentermine, which is a stimulant used as a diet pill that suppresses the appetite.
Lewis said MBN seized 96 dosage units of phentermine, $500 cash and two vehicles. She said Wells owns both vehicles.
Lewis would not review the name of the physician used for the prescriptions.
“The investigation is continuing,” Lewis said.
Wells and Kate are free on bonds of $21,000 each.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Current Poll
- Dan Mullen, Hugh Freeze to play in pro-am Thursday
- Legislators' education alternative challenged in court
- College Board stands behind move to fire Ole Miss chancellor
- Biloxi Shuckers gives city $925K to speed construction
- ROBERT KHAYAT: Board made a big mistake in not renewing Dan Jones
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway