Diet clinic owner, manager arrested on drug charges
Published: December 17,2013
MCCOMB — The owner and business manager of the McComb weight loss clinic have been charged with selling drugs and practicing medicine without a license.
Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics spokeswoman Delores Lewis said this past week’s arrests are the culmination of two-month investigation.
Lewis tells the Enterprise-Journal that Shameka N. Wells, 33, and Chanell C. James Kate, 34, are each charged with two counts of sale of a controlled substance and one count of practicing medicine without a license.
Wells owns the Weight Loss Specialists clinic while Kate is the business manager.
Lewis said Wells and Kate allegedly called in prescriptions under a doctor’s name for clients attending the clinic.
The prescriptions were reportedly for the drug phentermine, which is a stimulant used as a diet pill that suppresses the appetite.
Lewis said MBN seized 96 dosage units of phentermine, $500 cash and two vehicles. She said Wells owns both vehicles.
Lewis would not review the name of the physician used for the prescriptions.
“The investigation is continuing,” Lewis said.
Wells and Kate are free on bonds of $21,000 each.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal