DMR sends letter to MDA over marine leasing, seismic activity
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 17,2013
BILOXI — Jamie Miller, executive director of the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources, has sent a letter to the Mississippi Development Authority regarding the state’s process for leasing and seismic activity in Mississippi marine waters.
In the letter, Miller said that MDA’s rules do not contradict the Mississippi Coastal Program, but determined the DMR should continue to review any regulated activity that may negatively impact coastal and marine resources.
“The rules and regulations that the Mississippi Development Authority adopted this year regarding seismic testing in Mississippi waters do not conflict with our process for managing coastal resources,” Miller said. “However, to be clear, this agency will examine all proposals that include seismic and/or leasing activity.
“We will comply with state legislation regarding the exploration for oil and natural gas,” he said. “We also are committed to protecting Mississippi’s marine resources. The Legislature has prohibited leasing in nearly 60 percent of Mississippi state waters, including within one mile of the barrier islands and public oyster reefs. It is important that the DMR continue to review requests forseismic activity on a case-by-case basis.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- HCC works deal with MSU Extension Service for land to expand
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Report: Mississippi has worst child poverty rate in U.S.
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Education leaders applying for $15M in grants for pre-kindergarten program