DMR sends letter to MDA over marine leasing, seismic activity
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 17,2013
BILOXI — Jamie Miller, executive director of the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources, has sent a letter to the Mississippi Development Authority regarding the state’s process for leasing and seismic activity in Mississippi marine waters.
In the letter, Miller said that MDA’s rules do not contradict the Mississippi Coastal Program, but determined the DMR should continue to review any regulated activity that may negatively impact coastal and marine resources.
“The rules and regulations that the Mississippi Development Authority adopted this year regarding seismic testing in Mississippi waters do not conflict with our process for managing coastal resources,” Miller said. “However, to be clear, this agency will examine all proposals that include seismic and/or leasing activity.
“We will comply with state legislation regarding the exploration for oil and natural gas,” he said. “We also are committed to protecting Mississippi’s marine resources. The Legislature has prohibited leasing in nearly 60 percent of Mississippi state waters, including within one mile of the barrier islands and public oyster reefs. It is important that the DMR continue to review requests forseismic activity on a case-by-case basis.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more