Parts of Katrina-damaged pier to finally come down
by Associated Press
Published: December 27,2013
WAVELAND — The city of Waveland intends to tear down storm-damaged parts of the Garfield Ladner Pier.
The board of aldermen is reviewing bids submitted earlier this month for the work.
Coming down are the concession stand, ranger’s house, and a bathroom. The work is necessary, officials said, because the structures don’t meet current Federal Emergency Management Agency flood plain regulations.
There is an on-going lawsuit against several companies who performed work on the pier after Hurricane Katrina. The case is on hold while the parties in the multimillion-dollar lawsuit while state officials review new briefs filed in the case. The lawsuit was filed in 2012.
The Ladner pier was severely damaged during Hurricane Katrina and the city received federal and state funds to repair and renovate it.
The pier reopened in April 2009. In August, 2012, the pier was once again damaged, this time by Hurricane Isaac. It has not reopened.
In the suit, the city claims that companies involved in the pier project did not follow federal flood elevation guidelines. The suit seeks to recover the costs of complying with federal ordinances and punitive damages.
The city received three bids on the demolition work, ranging between $14,500 and $25,000, said Mayor David Garcia. Aldermen are expected to award the contract at a later date.
The city has calculated the pier sustained about $900,000 in damage from Isaac.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county