Retired circuit judge dies of illness at 73
Published: January 3,2014
SUMMIT — Mike Smith of Summit, a retired circuit judge in south Mississippi, has died after a long illness. He was 73.
The Administrative Office of Courts says Smith died Wednesday at Franklin County Hospital in Meadville.
Services are 11 a.m. today at Hartman-Sharkey Funeral Home in McComb, with burial in Union Church cemetery in Jefferson County.
Smith earned his law degree from Jackson School of Law, now called Mississippi College School of Law.
He was Pike County attorney before being elected circuit judge in Lincoln, Pike and Walthall counties in November 1994. He took office in January 1995 and retired in June 2006. He continued hearing cases as a senior status judge.
Survivors include his wife, Lloyd Dean Osborne Smith of Summit; son, Matt; daughter, Angela; a brother and six grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- BLAKE WILSON: Danny Mitchell was a remarkable business leader, a better friend
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail