MEC launches ‘tech master’ program to honor students
Published: January 8,2014
JACKSON — Mississippi business leaders will start honoring graduating high school students choosing technical careers.
The Mississippi Economic Council announced it would sponsor a new “tech master” program that would recognize graduating high school seniors who meet certain standards in a technical curriculum.
The program will run in parallel with the existing Mississippi Scholars program, in which MEC recognizes high school seniors who hit certain standards in a college preparatory curriculum.
Irwin Edenzon, outgoing president of Pascagoula’s Ingalls Shipbuilding, says business leaders agreed on the standards, including a 2.5 grade-point average, a minimum score of 18 on the ACT college test, and passing a career certification test.
Edenzon says Ingalls needs more qualified applicants and his company will give preference to tech master graduates in the hiring process.
Mississippi Scholars Tech Master Curriculum
Current MDE Career Pathway Track – Academic Course of Study
(4 Credits) English
*(3 Credits) Math – Algebra I – Math above Algebra I (Course has to be related to program of study)
(3 Credits) Science – Biology I and 2 courses above Biology I
(3 Credits) Social Studies – American History, Government and MS Studies
(1 Credit) Computer
(½ Credit) Health or PE
* (2.5) Electives of your program of study
* 4 CTE Credits in the same area of study – Must take 4 CTE credits Non-negotiable
Must have 21 minimum credits – Students can go the 21 or 24 credit route allowing time for internship.
Additional Requirements for Recognition of Mississippi Scholars Tech Master Listed Below:
* 20 hours of community or volunteer service during high school pilot year – 40 hours of community or volunteer service thereafter
* Minimum of 18 ACT composite score (overall score) or Minimum 36 ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Test)
* 2.5 high school GPA
* 95% school attendance during high school years
* No out-of school suspension
Must attain a passing score, as establish by the Mississippi Department of Education (MDE), on the Mississippi Career Planning and Assessment System (CPAS2) or a passing score on an MDE approved industry certification assessment.
Mississippi Scholars Tech Master must complete any remaining State-Mandated high school graduation requirements. Dual credit courses are acceptable.
*Flexibility to tailor courses to area of interest.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location