County to pick up tab for bridge replacement
Published: January 9,2014
HERNANDO — DeSoto County is spending $416,365 to replace an aging wood-supported bridge over Cowpen Creek near Horn Lake Elementary School.
Officials said the bridge is of the few remaining timber-piling bridges left in the county.
Consulting engineer Tracy Huffman of the Hernando-based Waggoner firm said replacing it with a span with a double-cell concrete box culvert “will promote safety for sure, as well as increase the load capacity for the bridge.”
Huffman and the supervisors said the bridge is taking on extra weight with buses serving the growing school system. County road manager Andy Swims said it posed “no immediate danger” and added “timber structures can last a long time, but we’ve been moving these up the priority list” for replacement.
“They’re getting more and more rare; there’s probably less than 10 left in the entire county,” Swims said.
The Commercial Appeal reports that the contract was awarded to Xcavators Inc. of Falkner. The county is providing $70,439.
Huffman said a companion Cowpen Creek project, about another year off, is replacement of the Meadowbrook Road bridge, with the local financial contribution from the city of Horn Lake.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Meadville mayor seeks Sojourner's Senate seat
- Entergy plans three solar-power pilot projects
- PHIL HARDWICK: Characteristics of a good year-end fundraising letter
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Record soybean yield is valued at $1.17 billion
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case