BOOK BIZ — Looking back at interesting year for books
Taking a quick look back, 2013 was an interesting year for Book Biz, and it’s time to choose picks and pans. A variety of newly released books and older books were reviewed and hopefully there was something for everyone’s tastes. It seems not as many books were published by Mississippi writers, or we didn’t hear about as many. In this column we always like to promote state writers and bookstores.
It was a pan that Choctaw Books closed in 2013, but a great big pick that Pass Christian Books reopened in this beachside town.
Also this year, I was joined by my daughter, LouAnn Lofton, who wrote several reviews. She reads more non-fiction books than I do and is a savvy investor. A former online managing editor for The Motley Fool, she is the author of “Warren Buffet Invests Like a Girl.” She brings a different perspective to Book Biz and will be involved in 2014. Having her contributions was definitely a pick.
Among the Mississippi books published in 2013 were “501 Little Known Facts About Mississippi” and “William F. Winter and the New Mississippi.” Both of these were well done and land on the list of picks.
My favorite books that I read and wrote about last year are works of fiction. They include “Sweet Tooth” by Ian McEwan, “Thirteen Moons” by Charles Frazier and “Travels with my Aunt” by Graham Green. I just adore Green’s dry English wit and this book – one of his many – did not disappoint.
Happy reading in 2014!
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects