BOOK BIZ — Looking back at interesting year for books
Taking a quick look back, 2013 was an interesting year for Book Biz, and it’s time to choose picks and pans. A variety of newly released books and older books were reviewed and hopefully there was something for everyone’s tastes. It seems not as many books were published by Mississippi writers, or we didn’t hear about as many. In this column we always like to promote state writers and bookstores.
It was a pan that Choctaw Books closed in 2013, but a great big pick that Pass Christian Books reopened in this beachside town.
Also this year, I was joined by my daughter, LouAnn Lofton, who wrote several reviews. She reads more non-fiction books than I do and is a savvy investor. A former online managing editor for The Motley Fool, she is the author of “Warren Buffet Invests Like a Girl.” She brings a different perspective to Book Biz and will be involved in 2014. Having her contributions was definitely a pick.
Among the Mississippi books published in 2013 were “501 Little Known Facts About Mississippi” and “William F. Winter and the New Mississippi.” Both of these were well done and land on the list of picks.
My favorite books that I read and wrote about last year are works of fiction. They include “Sweet Tooth” by Ian McEwan, “Thirteen Moons” by Charles Frazier and “Travels with my Aunt” by Graham Green. I just adore Green’s dry English wit and this book – one of his many – did not disappoint.
Happy reading in 2014!
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry
- Digital Editions - magazines