SoS puts Coast cemetery up for public auction
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 14,2014
PASCAGOULA — Jackson County Memorial Park in Pascagoula is now up for public auction.
Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann was appointed co-receiver of the property in 2012.
“The former owner left the cemetery virtually bankrupt. Our agency was requested by a judge to resolve complicated liens, tax claims and litigation against Jackson County Memorial Park. No one would purchase the cemetery with so much debt pledged against the property,” said Hosemann. “Now that these issues are resolved, it is our hope someone will purchase this property and provide peace-of-mind to the families who have loved ones buried at Jackson County Memorial Park.”
The cemetery consists of approximately 16 acres of land on Ingalls Avenue in Pascagoula and contains two mausoleum buildings, a lawn crypt, traditional ground interments and a commercial grade lawn mower and trimmer. A perpetual care trust account of $197,000, which must be used for cemetery maintenance and care, will also be transferred upon the sale of Jackson County Memorial Park.
Bids must be submitted to: Office of the Secretary of State, Attn: Dave Scott; 700 North Street; Jackson, MS 39202. Bids must be received into the Secretary of State’s office no later than 5 p.m., Feb. 3. Bids will be opened at 10 a.m., Feb. 4.
For a copy of the bid package, or for more information, contact Dave Scott, assistant secretary of state for regulation and enforcement, at (601) 359-6747.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)