After a decade-plus of planning, hospital expansion gets underway
Published: January 15,2014
GULFPORT — The first of two cranes went up this week to start construction on the first phase of the Main Patient Tower expansion at Gulfport Memorial Hospital.
The entire project will cost $50 million. It will create floors six and seven on the main patient tower and bring with it 96 modern patient rooms.
Memorial Hospital officials say the project has been in design for more than a decade.
“We’re going to make our rooms bigger. Brand new bathrooms and new furnishings new beds, new equipment, new technology,” hospital president/CEO Gary Marchand told WLOX-TV.
The project also consists of replacing the brick façade on the main tower with a glass shell and removing the old brick exterior. The new rooms will 50 percent bigger than the current patient rooms, which provide more space for equipment and families.
“The way the construction project is phased right now, is six and seven have been contracted. There is an option to go and renovate the fifth floor following that and then as we assess our bed need and our ability to accommodate our patients. Then we’ll do four and then we’ll do three,” said Marchand.
While construction is underway signs will be posted to make sure patients and their families know what to expect.
“Every admission packet is going have information about what’s currently going on with the project. It’s going have ear plugs and head phones available for our patients. So every effort is being made to mitigate the impact of any construction noise,” said Marchand.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders