Capital Towers picked for Secretary of State annex office
by Ted Carter
Published: January 17,2014
Downtown Jackson will gain up to 90 new office workers with the expected move of the Mississippi Secretary of State’s annex office to the 20-story Capital Towers, 125 South Congress Street.
The state was expected to sign a lease Wednesday for approximately 31,000 square feet on the 16th and 17th floors and a portion of the first floor. The move comes as the state’s lease of the current annex home at 700 North Street expires this month. The state’s Department of Finance & Administration said the annex operation will remain at the North Street building on a monthly lease until Capital Towers property manager The Mattiace Co. readies the new space.
The office space should be ready by April, according to Jamie Chustz, Mattiace Co. senior vice president and COO.
“We will be doing significant renovations on 16 and 17 including new partitions,” Chustz said. The work includes raised ceilings, new flooring, wall-covering, paint and finishes, new common areas and restroom finishes and new building lobby finishes, he added.
After new owners acquired the 42-year-old Class A building in 2000, the lobby and common areas underwent extensive renovations, with the exception of the 14th floor. The building is currently undergoing a lighting retrofit that includes energy efficient LED lights throughout the garage, Chustz said.
With its new tenants, Capital Towers will become approximately 85 percent occupied. The Secretary of State’s office will join the Neel-Schaffer engineering firm, which occupies the 10th and 11th floors, as the building’s largest tenants.
The building has 200,116 square feet with a lease rate of $17.95 a square-foot, according to LoopNet, a national commercial real estate data and research website.
Capital Towers won out in a building selection process that the Mississippi Department of Finance & Administration narrowed from five candidate buildings to the Congress Street building and Regions Building, owned and managed by the Hertz Investment Group.
The main office of the Secretary of State is in the Heber Ladner building at 401 Mississippi Street.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data