MVSU appoints Dr. Jerryl Briggs as COO
Mississippi Valley State University has appointed Dr. Jerryl Briggs as executive vice president/COO. Briggs brings over 25 years of professional experience in higher education administration. Most recently, he served as vice president for student affairs and enrollment management at Central State University in Ohio. Prior to Central State, he has held various positions within higher education administration, including serving for 10 years at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania as vice president for student affairs and enrollment management, and dean of students. He has also held positions at Clark Atlanta University, the College of William and Mary, Georgia Institute of Technology and the University of Illinois.
He has received several honors, including the Outstanding Service Award from Clark Atlanta University and the Student Affairs Administrator of the Year Award from Lincoln University.
Briggs serves as a board member and national advisor for the Community Foundation for Financial Literacy based in Atlanta and Cure Our Nation Organization, based in Washington, D.C. He has also authored a chapter regarding Greek life in Brown, Parks, and Phillips’ “African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision, 2012.”
Briggs is a longtime member of several professional organizations, including the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, American College Personnel Association, National Association of Student Affairs Professionals, Association for Student Conduct Administration and Association of College and University Housing Officers-International. An avid supporter of HBCU’s, he has also presented professional workshops that addressed the topic “Student Success at HBCUs” at various conferences.
Briggs earned his bachelor of science degree in chemistry education from Xavier University of Louisiana, a master of arts degree in human relations and supervision from Louisiana Tech University and doctorate of education degree in educational policy, planning and leadership – higher education from the College of William and Mary. He also completed Harvard University’s Institute for Educational Management Program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau