MVSU appoints Dr. Jerryl Briggs as COO
Mississippi Valley State University has appointed Dr. Jerryl Briggs as executive vice president/COO. Briggs brings over 25 years of professional experience in higher education administration. Most recently, he served as vice president for student affairs and enrollment management at Central State University in Ohio. Prior to Central State, he has held various positions within higher education administration, including serving for 10 years at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania as vice president for student affairs and enrollment management, and dean of students. He has also held positions at Clark Atlanta University, the College of William and Mary, Georgia Institute of Technology and the University of Illinois.
He has received several honors, including the Outstanding Service Award from Clark Atlanta University and the Student Affairs Administrator of the Year Award from Lincoln University.
Briggs serves as a board member and national advisor for the Community Foundation for Financial Literacy based in Atlanta and Cure Our Nation Organization, based in Washington, D.C. He has also authored a chapter regarding Greek life in Brown, Parks, and Phillips’ “African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision, 2012.”
Briggs is a longtime member of several professional organizations, including the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, American College Personnel Association, National Association of Student Affairs Professionals, Association for Student Conduct Administration and Association of College and University Housing Officers-International. An avid supporter of HBCU’s, he has also presented professional workshops that addressed the topic “Student Success at HBCUs” at various conferences.
Briggs earned his bachelor of science degree in chemistry education from Xavier University of Louisiana, a master of arts degree in human relations and supervision from Louisiana Tech University and doctorate of education degree in educational policy, planning and leadership – higher education from the College of William and Mary. He also completed Harvard University’s Institute for Educational Management Program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more