Senators have concerns over airline merger’s impact
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 17,2014
Tags: air travel, airline, airport, American Airlines, Eric Holder, federal government, Jackson-Evers International Airport, merger, Ray LaHood, Reagan National Airport, Roger Wicker, Senator, Thad Cochran, transportation, travel, US Airways
WASHINGTON — U.S. Sens. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) and Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) have sent a letter to the Transportation Secretary and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder over concerns about the possible impact in Mississippi by the proposed US Airways-American Airlines merger.
Cochran and Wicker wrote: “It is our understanding that the Departments of Transportation and Justice are currently reviewing the proposed merger of US Airways and American Airlines. As you make decisions about this, we are writing to request that you carefully consider the potential adverse impact any slot divestiture at Washington’s Reagan National Airport (DCA) could have on communities in states like Mississippi.
“Any reduction in slots at DCA could cause the elimination of the only direct flights between it and small and medium-sized markets. Specifically, we urge you to make decisions that will maintain nonstop air service between Jackson-Evers International Airport (JAN) and DCA. This flight represents the only nonstop service linking the state of Mississippi to our nation’s capital…
“We understand that the proposed merger must be reviewed within the boundaries of anti-trust laws. As you undertake your review, we urge you to evaluate the consequences of a potential slot divestiture on communities that depend on access to our nation’s capital.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option