Love wins special election for Delta town mayor
Published: January 23,2014
HOLLANDALE — Former city alderman Freddie Love has been elected mayor of Hollandale.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Love defeated former mayor Willie Burnside in Tuesday’s special election runoff.
Love will finish out the term of Melvin Willis Sr., who had been re-elected in June and died Nov. 16 from cancer.
Love says he wants to bring his own ideas to the office after he is sworn in Feb. 4. He says his priority is to unite the city, which he says has been divided along racial and economic lines.
Love says he also wants to revitalize downtown to make it more attractive to prospective businesses.
Love served on the board of aldermen from 1987 to 1993.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Prescott leads field for Conerly Trophy as state's best football player
- County to ask if it can use unspent hurricane recovery money
- BILL CRAWFORD: Bryant’s tax cut won’t stop spending growth
- UM Chancellor Jones: Lymphoma treatment going well