Love wins special election for Delta town mayor
Published: January 23,2014
HOLLANDALE — Former city alderman Freddie Love has been elected mayor of Hollandale.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Love defeated former mayor Willie Burnside in Tuesday’s special election runoff.
Love will finish out the term of Melvin Willis Sr., who had been re-elected in June and died Nov. 16 from cancer.
Love says he wants to bring his own ideas to the office after he is sworn in Feb. 4. He says his priority is to unite the city, which he says has been divided along racial and economic lines.
Love says he also wants to revitalize downtown to make it more attractive to prospective businesses.
Love served on the board of aldermen from 1987 to 1993.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force