Love wins special election for Delta town mayor
Published: January 23,2014
HOLLANDALE — Former city alderman Freddie Love has been elected mayor of Hollandale.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Love defeated former mayor Willie Burnside in Tuesday’s special election runoff.
Love will finish out the term of Melvin Willis Sr., who had been re-elected in June and died Nov. 16 from cancer.
Love says he wants to bring his own ideas to the office after he is sworn in Feb. 4. He says his priority is to unite the city, which he says has been divided along racial and economic lines.
Love says he also wants to revitalize downtown to make it more attractive to prospective businesses.
Love served on the board of aldermen from 1987 to 1993.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Catfish industry launches TV advertising campaign
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Student body presidents pushing for on-time graduation
- NCCI petitioning for workers' comp rate decrease