Love wins special election for Delta town mayor
Published: January 23,2014
HOLLANDALE — Former city alderman Freddie Love has been elected mayor of Hollandale.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Love defeated former mayor Willie Burnside in Tuesday’s special election runoff.
Love will finish out the term of Melvin Willis Sr., who had been re-elected in June and died Nov. 16 from cancer.
Love says he wants to bring his own ideas to the office after he is sworn in Feb. 4. He says his priority is to unite the city, which he says has been divided along racial and economic lines.
Love says he also wants to revitalize downtown to make it more attractive to prospective businesses.
Love served on the board of aldermen from 1987 to 1993.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015