Love wins special election for Delta town mayor
Published: January 23,2014
HOLLANDALE — Former city alderman Freddie Love has been elected mayor of Hollandale.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Love defeated former mayor Willie Burnside in Tuesday’s special election runoff.
Love will finish out the term of Melvin Willis Sr., who had been re-elected in June and died Nov. 16 from cancer.
Love says he wants to bring his own ideas to the office after he is sworn in Feb. 4. He says his priority is to unite the city, which he says has been divided along racial and economic lines.
Love says he also wants to revitalize downtown to make it more attractive to prospective businesses.
Love served on the board of aldermen from 1987 to 1993.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway
- DAVID WILLIAMS: Smart traffic signals pave way for better driving in connected world
- Office occupancy edged up throughout Metro Jackson