MDOT orders emergency closure of highway bridge
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 23,2014
YALOBUSHA COUNTY — State transportation officials have closed a bridge after discovering it could possibly fail.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has temporarily closed the bridge on Highway 51 approximately three miles south of the Highway 32 and Highway 51 intersection in Yalobusha County.
During a routine inspection of the bridge, inspectors found signs of possible movement in some of the beams, which could lead to future safety concerns. This closure will allow crews to perform a full inspection of the bridge and make the necessary repairs.
Advance warning signs of the closure will be placed to inform motorists. All commercial vehicles will be directed to I-55 for the duration of the closure. MDOT advises motorists to use I-55 or seek alternate routes.
This emergency bridge repair project could take approximately one week to complete.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- Higher rates for Humana, lower for Magnolia ahead on health exchange