MDOT orders emergency closure of highway bridge
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 23,2014
YALOBUSHA COUNTY — State transportation officials have closed a bridge after discovering it could possibly fail.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has temporarily closed the bridge on Highway 51 approximately three miles south of the Highway 32 and Highway 51 intersection in Yalobusha County.
During a routine inspection of the bridge, inspectors found signs of possible movement in some of the beams, which could lead to future safety concerns. This closure will allow crews to perform a full inspection of the bridge and make the necessary repairs.
Advance warning signs of the closure will be placed to inform motorists. All commercial vehicles will be directed to I-55 for the duration of the closure. MDOT advises motorists to use I-55 or seek alternate routes.
This emergency bridge repair project could take approximately one week to complete.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Ikea confirms plan for Memphis store
- McCrory joins Epps in asking for trial delay
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Former Lane Furniture plant sold for $1.45 million
- OUR VIEW: JRA evolving toward transparency? Maybe, maybe not
- Jon-Paul Croom made CEO