MDOT orders emergency closure of highway bridge
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 23,2014
YALOBUSHA COUNTY — State transportation officials have closed a bridge after discovering it could possibly fail.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has temporarily closed the bridge on Highway 51 approximately three miles south of the Highway 32 and Highway 51 intersection in Yalobusha County.
During a routine inspection of the bridge, inspectors found signs of possible movement in some of the beams, which could lead to future safety concerns. This closure will allow crews to perform a full inspection of the bridge and make the necessary repairs.
Advance warning signs of the closure will be placed to inform motorists. All commercial vehicles will be directed to I-55 for the duration of the closure. MDOT advises motorists to use I-55 or seek alternate routes.
This emergency bridge repair project could take approximately one week to complete.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal