MDOT orders emergency closure of highway bridge
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 23,2014
YALOBUSHA COUNTY — State transportation officials have closed a bridge after discovering it could possibly fail.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has temporarily closed the bridge on Highway 51 approximately three miles south of the Highway 32 and Highway 51 intersection in Yalobusha County.
During a routine inspection of the bridge, inspectors found signs of possible movement in some of the beams, which could lead to future safety concerns. This closure will allow crews to perform a full inspection of the bridge and make the necessary repairs.
Advance warning signs of the closure will be placed to inform motorists. All commercial vehicles will be directed to I-55 for the duration of the closure. MDOT advises motorists to use I-55 or seek alternate routes.
This emergency bridge repair project could take approximately one week to complete.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center