MDOT orders emergency closure of highway bridge
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 23,2014
YALOBUSHA COUNTY — State transportation officials have closed a bridge after discovering it could possibly fail.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has temporarily closed the bridge on Highway 51 approximately three miles south of the Highway 32 and Highway 51 intersection in Yalobusha County.
During a routine inspection of the bridge, inspectors found signs of possible movement in some of the beams, which could lead to future safety concerns. This closure will allow crews to perform a full inspection of the bridge and make the necessary repairs.
Advance warning signs of the closure will be placed to inform motorists. All commercial vehicles will be directed to I-55 for the duration of the closure. MDOT advises motorists to use I-55 or seek alternate routes.
This emergency bridge repair project could take approximately one week to complete.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Court hits David Watkins with $600,000 order over Retro Metro issues