Palmertree’s embezzlement trial set for March
Published: January 29,2014
VICKSBURG — Warren County Circuit Clerk Shelly Ashley Palmertree is scheduled for trial March 24 on three counts of embezzlement.
The Vicksburg Post reports that lawyers for Palmertree waived arraignment Monday.
Palmertree is charged with inappropriately taking funds from her office’s civil and criminal accounts into her circuit clerk fee account.
The circuit clerk collects fines and fees and restitution in criminal and civil cases.
Between Feb. 2-21 she allegedly transferred $5,000 from her office’s criminal account into the account from which she draws her salary, according to the indictment.
She is also accused of twice inappropriately transferring funds from the civil account into her personal account — once for $3,000 between Nov. 7 and Nov. 15 and once for $4,000 between Nov. 19 and Nov. 21.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- Starkville's Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement