Residents welcome above-freezing temperatures
Published: January 30,2014
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI — Residents of South Mississippi were ready for the big thaw today as temperatures were rapidly heading to the 50s and remaining ice was melting on bridges and roads.
Emergency officials in Harrison, Jackson and Hancock counties say they’ll be out early today seeing how the ice in melting on key bridges from Biloxi to Ocean Springs and from Pass Christian to Bay St. Louis.
Jackson County Emergency Services Director Earl Etheridge says the bridges on U.S. Highway 90 between Pascagoula and Gautier are still one-lane early Thursday.
Roads in south Mississippi were getting into good shape but some icing remained.
National Weather Service meteorologist Phil Brigsby says temperatures will begin in the low 20s or mid-teens depending on your distance from the Coast but will rise rapidly.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K
- Medical transportation company opening operation/call center