Residents welcome above-freezing temperatures
Published: January 30,2014
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI — Residents of South Mississippi were ready for the big thaw today as temperatures were rapidly heading to the 50s and remaining ice was melting on bridges and roads.
Emergency officials in Harrison, Jackson and Hancock counties say they’ll be out early today seeing how the ice in melting on key bridges from Biloxi to Ocean Springs and from Pass Christian to Bay St. Louis.
Jackson County Emergency Services Director Earl Etheridge says the bridges on U.S. Highway 90 between Pascagoula and Gautier are still one-lane early Thursday.
Roads in south Mississippi were getting into good shape but some icing remained.
National Weather Service meteorologist Phil Brigsby says temperatures will begin in the low 20s or mid-teens depending on your distance from the Coast but will rise rapidly.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love