Residents welcome above-freezing temperatures
Published: January 30,2014
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI — Residents of South Mississippi were ready for the big thaw today as temperatures were rapidly heading to the 50s and remaining ice was melting on bridges and roads.
Emergency officials in Harrison, Jackson and Hancock counties say they’ll be out early today seeing how the ice in melting on key bridges from Biloxi to Ocean Springs and from Pass Christian to Bay St. Louis.
Jackson County Emergency Services Director Earl Etheridge says the bridges on U.S. Highway 90 between Pascagoula and Gautier are still one-lane early Thursday.
Roads in south Mississippi were getting into good shape but some icing remained.
National Weather Service meteorologist Phil Brigsby says temperatures will begin in the low 20s or mid-teens depending on your distance from the Coast but will rise rapidly.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss