Soybean board offering irrigation-efficiency meetings
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 3,2014
Tags: agriculture, farm, farmer, farming, irrigation, Jan de Regt, Mississippi Soybean Promotion Board, Mississippi State University Extension Service, PHAUCET, Soybean, Sustainable Irrigation Project 2014
CANTON — Several upcoming meetings hosted by the Mississippi Soybean Promotion Board (MSPB) will address increasing irrigation efficiency for the state’s farmers.
The three meetings will feature Mississippi State University Extension Service irrigation specialist Jason Krutz, Ph.D., and other agricultural specialists, who will discuss how greater irrigation efficiency can positively impact farmers’ profit potential. The meetings are open to all Mississippi farmers.
“Our meetings will cover a lot of important information related to irrigation,” says Jan de Regt, MSPB chairman. “Tools exist to help farmers irrigate more efficiently and save money, and these meetings are designed to help farmers learn about the tools and how to use them.”
The meetings will cover MSPB’s Sustainable Irrigation Project 2014; outline the general irrigation needs of soybeans, corn, rice and cotton in Mississippi; explain the benefits of using various irrigation instruments, such as soil-moisture sensors and surge valves; and provide an introduction to the PHAUCET program.
“The PHAUCET program helped me maximize the use of my pump capacity,” says de Regt. “It cut the time spent pumping per field by 38 percent, which also helped cut my normal spending costs pumping water to my fields.”
RSVPs are required, as space is limited for these educational sessions. Meetings are scheduled for the following dates:
• Feb. 10, Tunica Museum, Tunica, 2 p.m.-6 p.m. Dinner will be served after the meeting. Only 100 spots are available. RSVP by Feb. 5 on MSPB’s website, www.mssoy.org, or call (662) 363-2911
• Feb. 12, The Crystal Grill Restaurant, Greenwood, 2 p.m.-6 p.m. Dinner will be served after the meeting. Only 50 spots are available. RSVP by Feb. 7 on MSPB’s website, or call (662) 453-6803
• Feb. 26, Charles W. Capps Jr. Entrepreneurial Center, Stoneville, 9 a.m.-noon. Lunch will be served after the meeting. RSVP by Feb. 21 on MSPB’s website, or call (662) 588-8974
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal