Entergy sees big drop in quarterly as-reported earnings
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 12,2014
NEW ORLEANS — Entergy Corporation reported fourth quarter 2013 as-reported earnings of $146.9 million, or 82 cents per share, compared with $296.3 million, or $1.66 per share, for fourth quarter 2012.
On an operational basis, Entergy’s fourth quarter 2013 earnings were $179.3 million, or $1.00 per share, compared with $307.0 million, or $1.72 per share, in fourth quarter 2012.
For the year, Entergy’s as-reported earnings were $711.9 million, or $3.99 per share, and operational earnings were $957.1 million, or $5.36 per share. These results compare with 2012 as-reported earnings of $846.7 million, or $4.76 per share, and operational earnings of $1.1 billion, or $6.23 per share. The period-over-period declines were due largely to income tax benefits recorded in 2012.
“In the fourth quarter, we saw encouraging top-line results at the Utility from continued strong industrial sales growth,” said Leo Denault, Entergy’s chairman and chief executive officer. “Growth was driven by increased production from existing customers tied to favorable global economic conditions. We expect to see continued load growth in the future as facility expansions come on line. During the quarter, EWC saw a surge in spot and 2014 forward power prices for the Northeast. The hedging strategy we’ve employed over the past several years positioned us to participate in this price run-up, which will largely be reflected in 2014 results.
“On a full year basis, we delivered solid 2013 operational results that reflected productive investments for Utility customers and a trend toward tightening supply/demand fundamentals in the Northeast as well as upward movement of energy spot prices. Moreover, we executed on several strategic initiatives, such as joining the Midcontinent Independent System Operator Inc., reducing our cost structure and improving productivity across our businesses and making portfolio changes at EWC consistent with our strategy.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- State’s MAGIC accounting system works, albeit with glitches
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium