Delta alderman arrested for forging check
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 17,2014
Tags: alderman, bank, banking, Charles Thurman, check, city government, city of Belzoni, crime, finance, financial institution, forgery, George Schroeder, law, legal, Office of State Auditor, Stacey Pickering, state government
BELZONI — According to State Auditor Stacey Pickering, special agents from the Auditor’s Office have arrested Belzoni Alderman Charles Thurman.
Thurman has been indicted on one count of uttering forgery by a Humphreys County Grand Jury.
Thurman is accused of hiring an unlicensed contractor, George Schroeder, to perform work at City Hall. Following completion of the work, a $4,500 check was issued for payment. Thurman intercepted the check written to Schroeder, forged his signature and negotiated the check.
Following the arrest, Thurman was released on a $1,000 bond.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Cannabis for the rest of us
- MARTY WISEMAN: The current racial strife and the failure to educate
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- BILL CRAWFORD: Boyce takes hot spot as IHL commissioner
- Planters Bank promotes at 3 locations
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- Real Estate Forum panelists: Lenders, investors hungry for deals on residential rentals in Miss., elsewhere
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur