Delta alderman arrested for forging check
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 17,2014
Tags: alderman, bank, banking, Charles Thurman, check, city government, city of Belzoni, crime, finance, financial institution, forgery, George Schroeder, law, legal, Office of State Auditor, Stacey Pickering, state government
BELZONI — According to State Auditor Stacey Pickering, special agents from the Auditor’s Office have arrested Belzoni Alderman Charles Thurman.
Thurman has been indicted on one count of uttering forgery by a Humphreys County Grand Jury.
Thurman is accused of hiring an unlicensed contractor, George Schroeder, to perform work at City Hall. Following completion of the work, a $4,500 check was issued for payment. Thurman intercepted the check written to Schroeder, forged his signature and negotiated the check.
Following the arrest, Thurman was released on a $1,000 bond.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics