Delta alderman arrested for forging check
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 17,2014
Tags: alderman, bank, banking, Charles Thurman, check, city government, city of Belzoni, crime, finance, financial institution, forgery, George Schroeder, law, legal, Office of State Auditor, Stacey Pickering, state government
BELZONI — According to State Auditor Stacey Pickering, special agents from the Auditor’s Office have arrested Belzoni Alderman Charles Thurman.
Thurman has been indicted on one count of uttering forgery by a Humphreys County Grand Jury.
Thurman is accused of hiring an unlicensed contractor, George Schroeder, to perform work at City Hall. Following completion of the work, a $4,500 check was issued for payment. Thurman intercepted the check written to Schroeder, forged his signature and negotiated the check.
Following the arrest, Thurman was released on a $1,000 bond.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years