Cal-Maine buys remaining interest in Delta Egg Farm
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 18,2014
JACKSON — Cal-Maine Foods Inc. has reached an agreement to acquire 50 percent of the membership interests of Delta Egg Farm, LLC from Sunbest Foods of Iowa Inc., a Moark, LLC affiliate.
Cal-Maine currently owns the remaining 50 percent of Delta Egg Farm, so the entity will become a wholly owned subsidiary of the company.
Pursuant to this agreement, Cal-Maine Foods will purchase the membership interests for a total of $17 million.
Delta Egg Farm owns and operates a feed mill and egg production complex with capacity for approximately 1.2 million laying hens, located near Delta, Utah, and an organic egg production complex with capacity for approximately 400,000 laying hens located near Chase, Kan.
Cal-Maine expects to close the transaction effective March 1.
Dolph Baker, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Cal-Maine, said, “While we have enjoyed a long-term working relationship with Moark and Sunbest Foods of Iowa, we are excited about the opportunity to take over the ownership and management of Delta Egg Farm, LLC.”
Cal-Maine is primarily engaged in the production, grading, packing and sale of fresh shell eggs, including conventional, cage-free, organic and nutritionally-enhanced eggs. The company, which is headquartered in Jackson, is the largest producer and distributor of fresh shell eggs in the United States and sells the majority of its shell eggs in approximately 29 states across the southwestern, southeastern, mid-western and mid-Atlantic regions of the United States.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- ALAN TURNER: Education in Mississippi – good and bad news
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JOSH MABUS: The Tao of Road House
- Answering the Bell: Interim Ole Miss law school dean well-regarded for directing hands-on clinical training