Cal-Maine buys remaining interest in Delta Egg Farm
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 18,2014
JACKSON — Cal-Maine Foods Inc. has reached an agreement to acquire 50 percent of the membership interests of Delta Egg Farm, LLC from Sunbest Foods of Iowa Inc., a Moark, LLC affiliate.
Cal-Maine currently owns the remaining 50 percent of Delta Egg Farm, so the entity will become a wholly owned subsidiary of the company.
Pursuant to this agreement, Cal-Maine Foods will purchase the membership interests for a total of $17 million.
Delta Egg Farm owns and operates a feed mill and egg production complex with capacity for approximately 1.2 million laying hens, located near Delta, Utah, and an organic egg production complex with capacity for approximately 400,000 laying hens located near Chase, Kan.
Cal-Maine expects to close the transaction effective March 1.
Dolph Baker, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Cal-Maine, said, “While we have enjoyed a long-term working relationship with Moark and Sunbest Foods of Iowa, we are excited about the opportunity to take over the ownership and management of Delta Egg Farm, LLC.”
Cal-Maine is primarily engaged in the production, grading, packing and sale of fresh shell eggs, including conventional, cage-free, organic and nutritionally-enhanced eggs. The company, which is headquartered in Jackson, is the largest producer and distributor of fresh shell eggs in the United States and sells the majority of its shell eggs in approximately 29 states across the southwestern, southeastern, mid-western and mid-Atlantic regions of the United States.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Education officials changing school rating system
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Historic COFO building demolished due to structural problems
- Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- New shareholders named for Copeland, Cook, Taylor and Bush
- MSU's Gilbert named finalist for Austin Peay presidency
- Communities vie for TVA sustainability designation
- American HealthTech passes Medicare tests
- First Corolla earmarked for export rolls off of Toyota's line