MDA tabs nine industrial sites for development grants
by For the MBJ
Published: February 21,2014
The Mississippi Development Authority has awarded nine site development grants to economic development entities throughout the state.
The matching grant program assists nonprofit economic development organizations or local governments in preparing available greenfield sites for industrial development.
The program is open to all economic development organizations and units of local government. The MDA’s Grants Review Committee reviews applications and selects grant recipients. The committee examines each application’s proposed site development and its potential for improving industrial recruitment efforts.
Applicants can only apply for one project and must match state grant dollars 1:1. Individual county projects are eligible for a maximum of $25,000 in matching funds from MDA, and multi-county proposals are eligible for up to $35,000 in matching funds.
Recipients of Site Development Grant Program funds for 2013 are:
• Panola Partnership
• Washington County
• Booneville-Prentiss County
• Madison County Economic Development Authority
• Winston County Economic Development Partnership
• Brookhaven-Lincoln County Chamber and Industrial Development Foundation
• Economic Development Authority of Jones County
• Area Development Partnership
• Hancock County Port and Harbor
MDA Executive Director Brent Christensen said the MDA’s site development grants are a resource for economic development organizations to access in order to increase their competitiveness in attracting new industry to their regions. “Companies often seek locations that are shovel-ready so they can begin construction immediately, and this grant program assists in creating more shovel-ready sites throughout the state,” he said.
Economic development organizations and local governments interested in learning more about the site development grant program are encouraged to contact their MDA regional office. A map of MDA’s regional offices and their contact information can be found at http://www.mississippi.org/existing-business/regional-offices/.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force