Report: Optimism up among Coast CEOs, business owners
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 21,2014
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — The Gulf Coast Business Council Research Foundation has released its quarterly CEO and Business Owners Confidence Report for the fourth quarter of 2013.
“After a decline in confidence for the third quarter of 2013, we are pleased to see business leaders are optimistic of improvements in the coming months”, said Jack Norris, president of the Gulf Coast Business Council. “It is also encouraging that confidence is up compared to the same time the previous year.”
Some highlights of the study are:
• The CEO & Business Owner Confidence for the Mississippi Gulf Coast increased in the fourth quarter relative to both prior quarter and prior year. The measure of business confidence includes three components, two of which gauge perceptions of the current economy and one that factors in future expectations; a score of 50 would indicate overall neutrality, or that the economy is neither improving nor worsening. While respondents did not report any significant improvements in the current economy, expectations looking ahead six months reached a three-year high. When delving into the future expectations index of 64, respondents from Jackson County were the most confident (68), with Hancock and Harrison Counties reporting 66 and 60, respectively.
• The combined sales tax base for the Mississippi Gulf Coast has now expanded (year-over-year) in 19 consecutive months. Harrison County was up 3.1 percent over prior year, Jackson County was up 2.8 percent and Hancock was down marginally (1.1 percent).
For the complete report, visit www.msgcbc.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager