Report: Optimism up among Coast CEOs, business owners
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 21,2014
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — The Gulf Coast Business Council Research Foundation has released its quarterly CEO and Business Owners Confidence Report for the fourth quarter of 2013.
“After a decline in confidence for the third quarter of 2013, we are pleased to see business leaders are optimistic of improvements in the coming months”, said Jack Norris, president of the Gulf Coast Business Council. “It is also encouraging that confidence is up compared to the same time the previous year.”
Some highlights of the study are:
• The CEO & Business Owner Confidence for the Mississippi Gulf Coast increased in the fourth quarter relative to both prior quarter and prior year. The measure of business confidence includes three components, two of which gauge perceptions of the current economy and one that factors in future expectations; a score of 50 would indicate overall neutrality, or that the economy is neither improving nor worsening. While respondents did not report any significant improvements in the current economy, expectations looking ahead six months reached a three-year high. When delving into the future expectations index of 64, respondents from Jackson County were the most confident (68), with Hancock and Harrison Counties reporting 66 and 60, respectively.
• The combined sales tax base for the Mississippi Gulf Coast has now expanded (year-over-year) in 19 consecutive months. Harrison County was up 3.1 percent over prior year, Jackson County was up 2.8 percent and Hancock was down marginally (1.1 percent).
For the complete report, visit www.msgcbc.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life