Jason Walton named head of school at Jackson Prep
Jason Walton, Ph.D., has been named the sixth head of school at Jackson Preparatory School. Walton succeeds Susan Lindsay, head of school since 2004, who will retire in June after serving the school for 40 years in a variety of positions. Walton is a fourth-generation educator in Mississippi. After receiving his undergraduate and master’s degrees from the University of Mississippi, he began his career in education by teaching high school for four years in north Mississippi. He was accepted in Vanderbilt University’s nationally-ranked Ph.D. program, focusing on K-12 school administration. There he was selected by the chair of the Department of Leadership, Policy, and Organizations to serve as associate editor of the Peabody Journal of Education. Subsequent to full-time doctoral work in Nashville, Walton served as assistant director of Tennessee’s Office of Education Accountability.
While serving in Tennessee, he was recruited to serve as director of strategic initiatives at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla. In 2006, he was named chief of staff and staff liaison to the board of trustees at Lynn.
Walton’s wife, Laurie, has taught for many years at an independent K4-12 Christian school in West Palm Beach, Fla., as a high school geography and advanced placement world history teacher. They have two children, Caroline, 10, and John, five.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- MBJ's Business Marketplace set for Friday at Mississippi's Trade Mart