Jason Walton named head of school at Jackson Prep
Jason Walton, Ph.D., has been named the sixth head of school at Jackson Preparatory School. Walton succeeds Susan Lindsay, head of school since 2004, who will retire in June after serving the school for 40 years in a variety of positions. Walton is a fourth-generation educator in Mississippi. After receiving his undergraduate and master’s degrees from the University of Mississippi, he began his career in education by teaching high school for four years in north Mississippi. He was accepted in Vanderbilt University’s nationally-ranked Ph.D. program, focusing on K-12 school administration. There he was selected by the chair of the Department of Leadership, Policy, and Organizations to serve as associate editor of the Peabody Journal of Education. Subsequent to full-time doctoral work in Nashville, Walton served as assistant director of Tennessee’s Office of Education Accountability.
While serving in Tennessee, he was recruited to serve as director of strategic initiatives at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla. In 2006, he was named chief of staff and staff liaison to the board of trustees at Lynn.
Walton’s wife, Laurie, has taught for many years at an independent K4-12 Christian school in West Palm Beach, Fla., as a high school geography and advanced placement world history teacher. They have two children, Caroline, 10, and John, five.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Starkville's Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement