Keesler hospital earns energy-efficiency award from EPA
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 24,2014
Tags: 81st Medical Group, Air Force Medical Support Agency, award, defense, energy, energy efficiency, Energy Star Award, Environmental Protection Agency, health care, hospital, Keesler Airforce Base, Keesler Medical Center, Kory Cornum, military
BILOXI — Keesler Medical Center has earned its second consecutive Environmental Protection Agency Energy Star Award.
Brig. Gen. (Dr.) Kory Cornum, 81st Medical Group commander, presented the 2013 award to facility manager Michael Chatham, 81st Medical Support Squadron, during a recent executive staff meeting.
The general commended Chatham’s foresight during reconstruction of the facility following the August 2005 Hurricane Katrina devastation, which incorporated many energy-conservation elements.
A letter to Cornum from the Air Force Medical Support Agency accompanying the award noted: “The receipt of an Energy Star serves as recognition that your facility, when compared against other medical facilities across the United States, has distinguished itself by exceptional efforts in energy conservation. To receive an Energy Star, your facility must earn a 75 out of a possible 100 points. Kessler Medical Center is in the upper 21st percentile of all medical health-care facilities in the United States with a score of 79. Furthermore, Keesler Medical Center is one of only eight recipients across the Air Force Medical Service who received the 2013 Energy Star.
“The single largest factor that influences this level of conservation is behavior modification; therefore, it took leadership ‘buy in’ and support from you and your executive team to make this award a reality.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren