Double roundabout project to get underway next week
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 25,2014
Tags: city of Oxford, construction, Highway 6, infrastructure, Mike Tagert, Mississippi Department of Transportation, Old Taylor Road, roadbuilding, roundabout, Talbot Brothers Contracting Company, transportation, travel, University of Mississippi
OXFORD — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is set to begin a double roundabout project at Old Taylor Road in Oxford.
The project will construct a double roundabout at the Old Taylor Road and Highway 6 intersection. There will be one roundabout on either side of the Old Taylor Road Bridge over Highway 6.
The purpose of the project is to relieve congestion on the Old Taylor Road Bridge during peak hours and to provide better access for motorists entering or exiting Highway 6. The dual roundabout layout provides a continuous flow of traffic at each end of the bridge and decreases the delay in time between stops. Another major component to the project will be widening the Old Taylor Road Bridge to accommodate four-lanes of traffic and a protected eight-foot sidewalk for pedestrians.
“This project will have a positive impact on how students and local residents access the campus and the City of Oxford,” said Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert. “These new roundabouts and the additional lane capacity will greatly relieve congestion in this area, and we ask for your patience as we work to improve motorists’ commutes in Lafayette County.”
This $6.8-million construction contract was awarded to Talbot Brothers Contracting Company of Nesbit. Construction is expected to begin by the first of March with a projected completion date of November 2014. The major closures are scheduled to coincide with the University of Mississippi’s summer break. Once work begins, motorists should expect delays in this area.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Double roundabout project to get underway next week”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years