MGCCC makes national ranking of fastest-growing community colleges
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 27,2014
PERKINSTON — Community College Week has named Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College a Fastest Growing Community College.
MGCCC is ranked in the top 50 community colleges with enrollments of 10,000 or higher. The ranking is based on data provided by the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics.
Between fall 2011 and fall 2012, MGCCC enrollment increased by 1.3 percent, placing it at 36th on the top 50 list.
MGCCC is the only college in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee or Arkansas to be included on the list.
MGCCC president Dr. Mary S. Graham said the college is focusing on recruiting non-traditional students, helping mid-career workers retool their skills and expanding access to minority and first-generation college students.
“For community colleges to continue to be successful, we have to provide educational and training opportunities for students in a way that is appealing and convenient to them,” she said.
The ranking for the Fastest Growing Community Colleges, along with research data collected for the ranking, is listed in the Feb. 17 edition of Community College Week in the analysis, “A Downward Trend: As the Economy Improves and GDP Grows, Enrollment Heads in Opposite Direction.” More information on the research used is available at www.ccweek.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image