First phase of Coast highway project almost completed
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 28,2014
Tags: Chevron Refinery, construction, highway, Highway 611, Highway 63, Highway 90, infrastructure, Jackson County, Mallette Brothers Construction, Mississippi Development Authority, Old Mobile Highway, roadbuilding, Tanner Construction Company
JACKSON COUNTY — Work is nearing completion on the first phase of a comprehensive highway reconstruction project beginning at the U.S. Highway 90 interchange of Highway 63 and Highway 611 in Jackson County.
The $21-million phase one project was awarded to Tanner Construction Company and included construction of a new interchange for the intersection.
Mallette Brothers Construction of Gautier was awarded the $13.6-million second phase of work, which is set to begin next month. The project will involve widening Highway 611 to five lanes from Old Mobile Highway to the end of the route near the Chevron Refinery.
Work will also include railroad crossing replacements as well as relocation and reconstruction of several intersections. The highway will be widened on each side in phases, and motorists can expect intermittent one-lane traffic during construction.
The Mississippi Development Authority awarded Jackson County with the $35-million two-phase project. Construction is scheduled for completion in June 2015.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren