First phase of Coast highway project almost completed
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 28,2014
Tags: Chevron Refinery, construction, highway, Highway 611, Highway 63, Highway 90, infrastructure, Jackson County, Mallette Brothers Construction, Mississippi Development Authority, Old Mobile Highway, roadbuilding, Tanner Construction Company
JACKSON COUNTY — Work is nearing completion on the first phase of a comprehensive highway reconstruction project beginning at the U.S. Highway 90 interchange of Highway 63 and Highway 611 in Jackson County.
The $21-million phase one project was awarded to Tanner Construction Company and included construction of a new interchange for the intersection.
Mallette Brothers Construction of Gautier was awarded the $13.6-million second phase of work, which is set to begin next month. The project will involve widening Highway 611 to five lanes from Old Mobile Highway to the end of the route near the Chevron Refinery.
Work will also include railroad crossing replacements as well as relocation and reconstruction of several intersections. The highway will be widened on each side in phases, and motorists can expect intermittent one-lane traffic during construction.
The Mississippi Development Authority awarded Jackson County with the $35-million two-phase project. Construction is scheduled for completion in June 2015.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey