Pickering praises passage of new auditing legislation
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 13,2014
Tags: audit, auditor, Beef Processors Plant, economic development, Mississippi Development Authority, Mississippi Legislature, Office of State Auditor, Phil Bryant, Stacey Pickering, state agency, state auditor, state government, State of Mississippi
JACKSON — Legislation allowing the State Auditor’s Office to conduct compliance and performance audits on state-funded economic development bond programs has unanimously passed both the House of Representatives and Senate.
It is now on its way to Gov. Phil Bryant, who has supported the need for such legislation since his service as state auditor, according to the Office of State Auditor.
House Bill 1318 allows the auditor to audit programs administered by the Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) that heretofore have had little or no independent, third-party, oversight even though they all utilize taxpayer money. One such previously unaudited program helped fund the failed Beef Processors Plant in Yalobusha County.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering said, “This is good-government legislation, which will allow my office to work with MDA to conduct necessary audits of projects beyond the Mississippi Major Economic Impact Act, hence further protecting Mississippi taxpayers.”
Since 2009, several hundred million dollars in incentives have been awarded by MDA that the state auditor has not had the authority to audit.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- MDEQ fines metalworking firm over hazardous waste