Twelve groups petitioning for charter school authorization
Published: March 17,2014
Tags: Charter Schhol Authorizer Board, Charter school, Dubois STEM & ARTS Prep Academy of Tunica, education, Emergy Community STEAM Charter School, Excellence Academy, Greater Refuge Preparatory Academy, Inspire Charter School STEM & ARTS Scholars Academy, Jackson Developmental Academy for Pregnant & Parenting Teens, Mississippi Legislature, New Destiny Preparatory Academy, PALS Charter School Amite County, Phoenix Early College Charter School, public education, Reimagine Prep, school, Sojourner Truth Academy of Science Arts and Technology School, state government, State of Mississippi, Tommie Cardin
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — A dozen groups have filed applications for the first charter schools in Mississippi.
Charter School Authorizer Board chairman Tommie Cardin released Saturday the list of groups that met the 5 p.m. Friday deadline.
Lawmakers in 2013 approved an expanded law allowing charter schools — public schools run by private groups that agree to meet certain standards in exchange for less regulation — after a two-year fight.
The board is scheduled to vote on approvals in June. Board members have said they will be focused on making sure applicants pass a high bar, to guarantee effective schools.
Though the board has left open the possibility that schools could open in the fall, it has encouraged applicants to aim for fall 2015 as a more realistic goal.
Here’s the list of a dozen applications filed by Friday’s deadline for charter schools in Mississippi (the list includes the applicants, grade levels and the respective affected school districts):
— New Destiny Preparatory Academy (K-5): Meridian Public
— Jackson Developmental Academy for Pregnant & Parenting Teens (6-12): Jackson Public
— Reimagine Prep (5-8): Jackson Public
— Greater Refuge Preparatory Academy: Canton (K-8): Canton Public
— Greater Refuge Preparatory Academy: Jackson (K-8): Jackson Public
— Emerge Community STEAM Charter School (K-8): Tunica County
— Excellence Academy (K-5): North Panola
— Sojourner Truth Academy of Science, Arts and Technology School (K-8): Leake County
— Phoenix Early College Charter School (9-12): Natchez-Adams
— Inspire Charter School STEM & ARTS Scholars Academy (K-6;9): Columbus Municipal
— Dubois STEM & ARTS Prep Academy of Tunica (K-6): Tunica County
— PALS Charter School Amite County (K-12): Amite County
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Twelve groups petitioning for charter school authorization”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- The Blues and higher education — Delta State launches the International Delta Blues Project
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Singing River shutting doors on two Coast clinics
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62