House members add more than $61m to Senate’s bill
Published: March 19,2014
Tags: bond, borrow, construction, Cooper Tire and Rubber Co., credit, debt, downtown, economic development, house, House Bill 1502, legislation, legislative, loan, Mississippi Legislature, North Central Mississippi Regional Rail Authority, Senate, Senate Bill 2975, Senate Bill 787, state government, State of Mississippi
JACKSON — Mississippi lawmakers are moving toward negotiations on state borrowing in the 2015 budget year.
House members yesterday added $61.2 million before passing Senate Bill 2975. Representatives are seeking $30 million to allow the North Central Mississippi Regional Rail Authority to buy a rail line, $20 million to aid Tupelo’s Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. plant, $5 million to revitalize downtowns in cities with 15,000 or fewer people and $5 million to aid economic development in small cities, counties and gas districts.
House members have sought more than $400 million in various bills.
Senators passed House Bill 787 yesterday, offering to borrow $96.9 million, including $85 million for colleges and universities.
The Senate also passed House Bill 1502, which would spend $49 million from ongoing revenue for construction and repair projects.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Catfish industry launches TV advertising campaign
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- NCCI petitioning for workers' comp rate decrease