Project manager proposes green space for ex-casino site
Published: March 20,2014
BILOXI — Land south of U.S. Highway 90 where Harrah’s Entertainment planned to build the original Margaritaville Casino would become green space under a proposal presented this week to Biloxi officials.
Jason Wald, a project manager with Yates Construction, met this week with members of the city’s development review committee. Wald said Harrah’s officials want the area to be open to the public.
Community Development Director Jerry Creel said once the new green space is up and running, it could lead to more economic development in East Biloxi
Wald said Harrah’s plans to use the area for concerts and other events
At one point, a $700 million Margaritaville Casino was being built on the site, but construction stopped after the recession of 2008. Since that time, the construction site has fallen into disrepair and is being called an eyesore by city officials.
Yates’ workers are dismantling thousands of tons of concrete and steel to make room for the new green space. Officials are hoping the park will be available and open sometime in late summer.
Wald parking will be in the Grand Casino parking garage and people will access the beach by the two crossovers above U.S. 90. He said those crossovers will be refurbished.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center