Project manager proposes green space for ex-casino site
Published: March 20,2014
BILOXI — Land south of U.S. Highway 90 where Harrah’s Entertainment planned to build the original Margaritaville Casino would become green space under a proposal presented this week to Biloxi officials.
Jason Wald, a project manager with Yates Construction, met this week with members of the city’s development review committee. Wald said Harrah’s officials want the area to be open to the public.
Community Development Director Jerry Creel said once the new green space is up and running, it could lead to more economic development in East Biloxi
Wald said Harrah’s plans to use the area for concerts and other events
At one point, a $700 million Margaritaville Casino was being built on the site, but construction stopped after the recession of 2008. Since that time, the construction site has fallen into disrepair and is being called an eyesore by city officials.
Yates’ workers are dismantling thousands of tons of concrete and steel to make room for the new green space. Officials are hoping the park will be available and open sometime in late summer.
Wald parking will be in the Grand Casino parking garage and people will access the beach by the two crossovers above U.S. 90. He said those crossovers will be refurbished.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- BREAKING: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him