Construction underway on The Mill at MSU
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 21,2014
Tags: conference center, construction, Cooley Building, Courtyard by Marriott Hotel, Dale Partners, economic development, education, groundbreaking, higher education, hospitality, Institution of Higher Learning, Mark Castleberry, Mark Keenum, Mississippi College Town, Mississippi State University, office, Peachtree Hotel Group, public university, The Mill
STARKVILLE — Campus and community leaders officially broke ground yesterday on a $40-million economic development project in “Mississippi’s College Town.”
The Mill at Mississippi State University features three main projects: Transforming a landmark former cotton mill into a conference center and related office space; building an adjacent hotel and parking garage; and developing mixed-use business parcels on the land around the university’s old physical plant.
MSU president Mark E. Keenum, “What we are about to build here will have both immediate and far-reaching benefits for Mississippi State University and for the surrounding area. It will also be a testament to the power of partnerships, without which none of this would have been accomplished.”
The 10.89-acre site at the corner of Russell Street and Highway 12 will feature a 73,975-square-foot office and conference center with a 1,000-seat ballroom in the renovated Cooley Building. The Class A office space will include exposed wood beams and columns, open spaces and abundant natural light. Additionally, there will be a new four-story, 110-room Courtyard by Marriott Hotel adjoining the complex, along with a 450-car parking garage.
Mark Castleberry and Peachtree Hotel Group are leading development of The Mill at MSU with Dale Partners providing architectural services and Copeland & Johns Inc. serving as construction manager.
The National Parks Service, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History and the Mississippi Development Authority have been integrally involved in the project.
The project is slated for completion in the fall of 2015.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Construction underway on The Mill at MSU”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force