Sanderson Farms recognized for water conservation
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 24,2014
Tags: agriculture, Brazos Valley Groundwater Conservation District, Chicken, Corporate Responsibility Program, environment, Industrial Groundwater Conservationist of the Year, poultry, Sanderson Fams Inc., water conservation
LAUREL — Sanderson Farms Inc. has been recognized for its water conservation efforts at one of the company’s Texas-based poultry complexes located in Bryan, Texas.
The Brazos Valley Groundwater Conservation District (BVGCD), which services the groundwater resources of Brazos and Robertson counties, awarded the Laurel-based poultry producer the Industrial Groundwater Conservationist of the Year award for the company’s efforts to reduce its operation’s impact on district aquifers.
According to BVGCD officials, Sanderson Farms has concentrated on water conservation and the implementation of technology that would reduce its dependence on groundwater since 2008. Between 2008 and 2013, the company witnessed a 42 percent decrease in the amount of groundwater usage derived from the Simsboro aquifer, which is a formation of the much larger Carrizo-Wilcox aquifer that provides water to all or parts of 60 counties and is the primary water supply of the population of Bryan and College Station, Texas. By installing new equipment designed to conserve water usage and incorporate reuse wherever possible, Sanderson Farms was able to reduce its water footprint by nearly 273 million gallons last year.
In 2010, Sanderson Farms formally launched a Corporate Responsibility Program, focused on environmental and cost efficiency goals. The program’s objective is to engage all of the company’s employees to build sustainability thinking and practices into their everyday work, enabling continued freedom to innovate in a responsible way.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Sanderson Farms recognized for water conservation”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years