Legislators up budget estimates for 2014 and 2015
Published: March 25,2014
JACKSON — Top Mississippi lawmakers are increasing the estimate of how much money state government can spend this year and next.
The Joint Legislative Budget Committee made the changes today after hearing that the state economy has performed well the past several months.
Committee members added nearly $150 million to the estimate for fiscal 2014, which ends June 30, and another $98 million to the estimate for fiscal 2015, which begins July 1.
The state will spend roughly $6 billion of state money during fiscal 2015, most of it from the $5.5 billion general fund.
The changes give lawmakers more flexibility during their final days of budget writing. Saturday is the deadline for House and Senate negotiators to file final versions of more than 100 spending proposals for the coming year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on