7 Best Golf Courses in Mississippi: Public Course – Shell Landing
Course, staff strive to make you feel at home
By Rusty Hampton
Whether you drive 30 minutes or 20 hours to get there, the management at Shell Landing Golf Course wants you to feel at home when you arrive.
“We are a great golf facility at a great value,” said Allan Walker, Shell Landing’s head golf pro. “We sincerely believe that if you enjoy your day with us, you will tell others, and that is what has happened and allowed us to grow.”
Designed by PGA Tour star Davis Love III and opened in 2000, the course in Gautier tops our list of public facilities in the state. The combination of a challenging layout, beautiful views and a first-class staff gives Shell Landing what Champions Tour golfer Jim Gallagher Jr. calls “a private course feel with public access.”
Kenny Hughes, the Shell Landing CEO, was one of four local businessmen who purchased the course in 2012. The quartet pumped money into improvements, improving course conditions and the golfing atmosphere.
The diverse terrain adds to the experience. Cut through pines, rolling hills, bayous and marshland, the course offers a different view on nearly every hole. Large, undulating greens allow for plenty of pin placements, and a first-class practice facility backed by a staff that includes three PGA professionals with a combined 76 years of experience can make any golfer feel pampered.
Hughes said Shell Landing gets plenty of winter play from non-Mississippians, snowbirders from the North looking for a warm place to land. “This year we included lunch and free replay into our package and retail rates,” said Hughes. “That increased our play immediately and the customers appreciate the added value.”
Located a short drive from the Coast casinos, Shell Landing offers package deals with area hotels and its nearby sister course, Hickory Hills Country Club.
Shell Landing Golf Club
Year opened: 2000
Designer: Davis Love III
Dues: $299-$1,980 annually
Greens fees: $35-$99.
Yardage: 7,024 yards
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “7 Best Golf Courses in Mississippi: Public Course – Shell Landing”
Top Posts & Pages
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending