7 Best Golf Courses in Mississippi: Top teaching pro – V.J. Trolio
by For the MBJ
Published: March 27,2014
By Rusty Hampton
When some professional golfers make the trek to tiny West Point, Miss., it’s not just to play 18 holes at the splendid Old Waverly Golf Club but to seek advice from V.J. Trolio, the top golf teacher in Mississippi. Trolio runs the Old Waverly teaching center, along with Tim Yelverton.
He has instructed hundreds of Mississippians and the occasional touring pro. As he says, “my clients span the spectrum, from beginner to Tour player.”
Currently, he’s working with Champions Tour players Jim Gallagher Jr., and Brian Henninger, and Web.com Tour players Matt Fast, Jonathan Randolph and Carlos Sainz, along with top college players like Chad Ramey and Ally McDonald from Mississippi State.
Trolio, 40, wrote a book on the art of teaching junior golf. He’s an accomplished player himself, having won the Mississippi Open in 2007, but he has carved a niche for himself in helping others improve their games.
Trolio’s philosophy is to understand each person has a different physical makeup that affects the way they swing a golf club and it’s his job to figure out “what they actually can and should do.
“There is no perfect swing, really,” he says. “There is only a perfect swing for a particular shot. Far too many players complicate the game by swinging this way or that way without really understanding what ‘this way’ or ‘that way’ will do to the shot.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete
- Cochran calls on EPA for review of Yazoo Backwater Project
- State Sen. Gandy hospitalized in South America
- Camgian launches Internet of Things product called Egburt
- After string of losses, O'Hara sees himself as Senate 'protest vote'
- Number of requests for general election absentee ballots roughly same as primary
- Former Mississippi First Lady Carroll Waller dies at 87