7 Best Golf Courses in Mississippi: Top teaching pro – V.J. Trolio
by For the MBJ
Published: March 27,2014
By Rusty Hampton
When some professional golfers make the trek to tiny West Point, Miss., it’s not just to play 18 holes at the splendid Old Waverly Golf Club but to seek advice from V.J. Trolio, the top golf teacher in Mississippi. Trolio runs the Old Waverly teaching center, along with Tim Yelverton.
He has instructed hundreds of Mississippians and the occasional touring pro. As he says, “my clients span the spectrum, from beginner to Tour player.”
Currently, he’s working with Champions Tour players Jim Gallagher Jr., and Brian Henninger, and Web.com Tour players Matt Fast, Jonathan Randolph and Carlos Sainz, along with top college players like Chad Ramey and Ally McDonald from Mississippi State.
Trolio, 40, wrote a book on the art of teaching junior golf. He’s an accomplished player himself, having won the Mississippi Open in 2007, but he has carved a niche for himself in helping others improve their games.
Trolio’s philosophy is to understand each person has a different physical makeup that affects the way they swing a golf club and it’s his job to figure out “what they actually can and should do.
“There is no perfect swing, really,” he says. “There is only a perfect swing for a particular shot. Far too many players complicate the game by swinging this way or that way without really understanding what ‘this way’ or ‘that way’ will do to the shot.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- DAVID WILLIAMS: Smart traffic signals pave way for better driving in connected world
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway
- Office occupancy edged up throughout Metro Jackson